Re: Time to revise RFC 1771

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jun 26 16:59:00 2001

On Tue, 26 June 2001, Andrew Partan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:48:29AM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
> > RESOLVED, the error handling mechanism should be revised to reject
> > only the portion of the announcement in dispute instead of disrupting
> > the entire BGP session.
>
> The big problem here is that it may be impossible to tell that just
> this bit of <goo> is bad and that everything received after that
> is fine.

I'm willing to accept there are cases you can not recover, and
the only acceptable alternative is to reboot (gee, Microsoft thinks
that is the solution to everything).  My objection is RFC 1771 does
not give implementations the ability to continue when they can.

Aborting the BGP session should be an option, and extreme option,
but not the ONLY option.  So should throwing away the bad data,
alerting, and continuing with good data.