Re: peering requirements (Re: DDOS anecdotes)

  • From: Paul A Vixie
  • Date: Tue Jun 26 15:39:00 2001

> maybe if we come up with a clear statement of the technical issue at hand,
> those technical folk who manage to get along with their business folk can
> make some forward progress.  it maybe be a bit premature to throw the baby
> out with the bath-water.

ok, let's try it your way.  anyone who wants to seriously discuss upgrading
the general minimum peering agreement in use by their network so that it can
include requirements about (a) not allowing spoofed source addresses to come
from their network and (b) only peering, after date $TBD, with those networks
who do likewise, should send me their PGP key.  if i know you or if someone
i know knows you, i'll add you to a private mailing list (@vix.com, not at my
day job @paix.net).  if you know that the right person to discuss this isn't
a NANOG reader, then please forward my note internally and be prepared to (1)
teach somebody pgp and (2) sign their key.

(randy, i'm betting that the number of respondants will be a single digit.)