Re: Cable Modem [really good network design]

  • From: Fletcher E Kittredge
  • Date: Tue Jun 26 13:14:06 2001

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Steve Schaefer wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Fletcher E Kittredge wrote:
> > >
> > > You provide frustrating few details and a statement "DHCP alone is not
> > > a viable option in this model."  Could you restate more concretely
> > > what is your design problem which can only be solved by
> > > ATM/MPLS/PPPoE?  I hesitate to answer for fear that there is some
> > > constraint I don't know about.
> >
> > The constraint is that outbound packets need to go to the right ISP.  That
> > is, the packets need to go through the carrier network according to the
> > business relationship, not according to the destination IP address.
> >
> > Some method of identifying the ISP associated with each outbound packet is
> > necessary.  Policy routing, tunnels and PVC's are a few methods.

Still vague, and you have the bad habit of specifying implementation
mechanisms when asked for requirements.  Users who specify
implementation methods to engineers end up with bad designs :)  With
sincere respect, I point out you are asking a question to which you do
not know the optimal answer and then supplying your best answer so far
as if it is the only answer.  You might learn more if you sincerely
asked the question and listened...

Quick review:
-------------

Using an object for a purpose for which it was not designed is almost
always a bad idea.  Yes, improvisation is a life-saver.  But if you
get back to home base safely, pop the cowling, have the mechanics
remove the duct tape and repair the damage the right way.

Same for protocols.  Using them for a purpose for which they were not
designed almost always results in an inferior design.

IP stands for Internet protocol.  It was designed to tie disparate
physical networks together into one seamless virtual network.  The IP
suite does not specify any qualities of the physical network.  It does
specify the end-to-end nature of the virtual Internetwork.  It does
things like end-to-end security (IPsec.)

The Ethernet protocol was designed to adjudicate and route packets
internal to one homogeneous, physical network.  It handles media
access, security, reliablity and routing in that one physical network.

It appears to me that your problem here is at the physical network
level.  You only have one physical network.  Your Ethernet hardware
should handle the routing to the proper ISP.  If it were me, I would
also expect my Ethernet hardware to be able to filter, load-balance
and meter based on MAC address so that I could gaurantee no ISP could
see another's traffic and accurately charge the ISP for bandwidth.

I think I hear you saying you must use hardware that does not use
Ethernet.  In which case, you have steered the conversation away from
the original IPoE public network arena.  You also have my condolences.

I strongly recommend you spend some quality time with the DOCSIS
spec... Personally, I think DSL and wireless modems would benefit from
using DOCSIS.  I have not thought hard about this issue and am
interested in other opinions...

regards,
fletcher