RE: Global BGP - 2001-06-23 - Vendor X's statement...

  • From: Chance Whaley
  • Date: Tue Jun 26 12:36:47 2001

Vendor X released a limited statement to their customers describing the
issue - and their view on it. The large incumbent vendor that we all
know and love has confirmed the issue, and released a "patch" to some of
their customers. Vendor X also went on to state that at no time did
their boxes crash, mis-forward, reset, or have any issue resulting from
the events of the past weekend.

>From Vendor X's statement:

1.	Another vendor's implementation of BGP contained a bug that caused
EBGP peers to leak
	CONFEDERATION information across AS boundaries, interpreted as
malformed AS_PATH
	announcements.

2.	Vendor X's implementation of BGP-4 fully complies with the BGP-4
specification (RFC 1771) and
	accordingly, terminates a BGP session to a BGP peer who forwards
malformed AS_PATH
	announcement.

3.	Unfortunately, this other vendor does not adhere to the standard in
the same manner and as a result,
	malformed AS_PATH announcements are propagated to other BGP peers. This
is contrary to
	RFC 1771. Vendor X believes that these vendors should modify their
implementation to adhere to
	the guidelines as stated per RFC 1771 (see section 6 - BGP Error
Handling).

4.	In light of the events of the past weekend and with input from a
number of the affected service
	providers (point #1 above), Vendor X has concluded that a review of our
BGP implementation is
	unnecessary at this time.

If you happen to be running Vendor X's software and think you may have
experienced the issue you can use the following to verify.

	[email protected]#sh ip bgp neighbor xxx.xxx.xxx.xx last

	BGP4: 86 bytes hex dump of packet received from neighbor that contains
Error

	ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff 00560200
	00003bff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffff00
	2d0104fd e8005ac0 a8803a10 02060104 00010001
	02028000 02020200 ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
	ffffffff 001318d0 f20118d0 c10e18d0 f20018d0

.chance
(not speaking for Vendor X in any way shape or form. Just passing along
info that I was sent.)