Re: SBC forcing new contract on ISPs

  • From: Bruce Robertson
  • Date: Mon Jun 25 14:26:42 2001

There are two issues with the new SBC contract that are of concern to me.  One
is that the new contract allows SBC to provide us (the ISP) with a single
PPPoE stream with which to provide DSL Internet service, while allowing SBC
to sell any number of other services over the same DSL circuit.  This
wouldn't be a huge problem, except for two things: we are not given the
opportunity to also sell other services over that DSL circuit, and we are
also made responsible for billing the DSL circuit to the customer.  So in
effect, SBC is reserving the right to market their own private services over
a DSL circuit that we, in fact, own.

The other issue is actually of greater concern to me.  They are planning to
force me to convert all of my existing DSL customers to PPPoE.  They are all
currently configured with bridging, using Cisco RBE.  It would not only be
hopelessly disruptive to convert all of those customers to PPPoE, it is
physically impossible in some cases.

So the upshot is that I won't sign a contract that forces me to do something
impossible, and certainly against by business interests.

--
Bruce Robertson, President/CEO				     +1-775-348-7299
Great Basin Internet Services, Inc.			fax: +1-775-348-9412