Operational Content, I think...

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Sun Jun 24 15:31:14 2001

This comes up every now and then, and I still haven't seen a good solution,
so here is the situation.

Every now and then, the graveyard maintenance shift (read: few people) needs
to mount a 7' tall or 600 lb piece of equipment we've all come to know and
love in a rack. While pad jacks are available to move them around the
datacenter floor, equipped with friendly hydraulics and all, there is a
piece missing.

Is there a common-sense piece of equipment available that 1 person can
operate that will support a very bulky, rackmountable piece of equipment so
the same, single person can mount/unmount it near the top of a rack?

I have seen plenty of solutions for this on warehouse floors, but most
datacenters don't have the ceiling height for track-crane. I don't know how
people handle the 15' relay racks either now that I am sharing my gap in
knowledge.

Your advice, suggestions and even jokes are appreciated, but remember, I'm
armed. :)

Deepak