Re: Few questions to the american ISPs [Re: DDOS anecdotes]

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Sun Jun 24 14:24:05 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> > And you probably won't see them scan their network for open SMTP relays
> > until Vixie drops all of their blocks into the RBL.
>
> Hmmmm.... would this be the same @Home where a customer spammed us, I
> reported to @Home, and their abuse address bounced?  Not only that, but
> the "try this address" postmaster box referenced in the bounce _also_
> bounced?  Yup.  Same @Home.

Don't get me started. I found out the hard way why it's damned near
impossible to get in touch with the @Home NOC to report security issues...

They have had so many people reporting spam as DoS that they just
automatically assume the reporter doesn't know what he's talking about and
the caller gets shunted to support.

Of course, if they'd deal with spam issues, they might actually not have
that problem.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO - [email protected]

Donate a portion of your monthly ISP bill to your favorite charity or
non-profit organization! E-mail me for details.