Re: peering requirements (Re: DDOS anecdotes)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Jun 24 01:09:12 2001

On Sat, 23 June 2001, Simon Lyall wrote:
> Another point, if people are going to have filters then they MUST have a
> quick and easy way for this filters to be changed and to propogate
> everywhere quickly. People who insist that you provide an exact list of
> what you want to advertise (with the exact prefixes) and then take a week
> to process any changes (or 12 hours for that matter) should have prices to
> match their discount level of service.

I hear there are these really cool things called routing registeries.  They
allow providers to register and change their routing policies.  There are
tools which have automated the process.  With routing registries who can
register one-way, two-way, backup, standby, etc routing policies which don't
depend on the active announcement of a route in the BGP tables, but allow
the network sourced traffic to flow.

RIPE, ARIN and MERIT have more information.  Ask your network provider to
support routing registries.