Re: Exodus Down

  • From: Brett Frankenberger
  • Date: Sat Jun 23 21:27:48 2001

> Forwarded message from "Lewis E. Wolfgang" <[email protected]>
>
> Something is definitely rotten here.
>
> Whois reports:
>
>    Server Name: SLASHDOT.ORG.SUCKS.COMPARED.TO.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG
>    IP Address: 24.240.60.16
>    Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.opensrs.net
>    Referral URL: http://www.opensrs.org
>
>    Domain Name: SLASHDOT.ORG
>    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
>    Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
>    Name Server: NS1.ANDOVER.NET
>    Name Server: NS2.ANDOVER.NET
>    Updated Date: 13-jun-2001
>
> I've never seen whois report two registrars, especially one that says
> "SLASHDOT.ORG.SUCKS.COMPARED.TO.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG"

Then you haven't been reading here for very long.  Every couple of
months, someone does a query like this and posts the results thinking
they've found something signifigant.  They haven't.  What they have
found is that someone:
  (1) Registered JIMPHILLIPS.ORG,
  (2) Created a Name Server in the JIMPHILLIPS.ORG domain,
  (3) Decided to name that server:
     "SLASHDOT.ORG.SUCKS.COMPARED.TO.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG"

For more fun, try "whois -h whois.internic.net microsoft.com".

> I'd guess that some cracker broke something somewhere?  Maybe a
> DNS crack?  Maybe Andover went bankrupt and pulled the plug
> on us?  Maybe Micro$oft is behind this?

Well, somthign might well be going on.  But it has absolutely nothing
to do with the fact that someone registered a name server whose name
comtains the string "SLASHDOT.ORG".

Merit, for example, could create a new nameserver and call it:
   SLASHDOT.ORG.REALLY.SUCKS.MERIT.EDU
and then three things would show up with you did a whois on
slashdot.org.

     -- Brett