Re: DDOS anecdotes

  • From: Pim van Riezen
  • Date: Sat Jun 23 12:26:35 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Sean M. Doran wrote:
>
> > Some of you may find http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
> > very interesting.
>
> This presses the issue of spoof filtering even harder.
>
> Question is, how do we solve all this. One measure could be something I
> have tried to press since 1996 or so, but I do not know how to implement
> it and nobody else seems to be interested in it:
>
>  Unique identification of users.

Although this is a nice idea, it will fail. The reason is very simple. If
you(1) can track me when I hack your machine, you(2) can also track me
when I look at your network banners. Users will flock to the ISP that
won't let you(3).

Cheers,
Pi

(1) The network operator
(2) The doubleclick.net cockroach
(3) Either, since nobody can tell in advance whether you're (1) or (2).