Re: DDOS anecdotes

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sat Jun 23 11:50:01 2001

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Sean M. Doran wrote:

> Some of you may find http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
> very interesting.

This presses the issue of spoof filtering even harder.

Question is, how do we solve all this. One measure could be something I
have tried to press since 1996 or so, but I do not know how to implement
it and nobody else seems to be interested in it:

 Unique identification of users.

Let's say we can set some kind of nameserver record in the in-addr.arpa
zone pointing to some kind of standardised ident server (or
ident-equivalent) for a certain IP. This way ISPs could build systems that
can provide some kind of unique identifier that could be used for logging
accesses from an IP. In retrospect this identifier could be used when
reporting issues to an ISP to speed up their work of identifying the
physical connection the access was initiated from. Same thing could be
used by a NAT or PAT device to provide some kind of tracking as to what
internal (hidden) IP was actually doing the access thru the NAT/PAT
device.

ISPs could then presumably make some kind of system so you could email a
certain adress with the unique identifier in the subject or TO: line and
this email would be forwarded to the user in question (or to the admin of
the site if it's a corporate site). Yes, spam would have to be dealt with,
but I'm sure it's doable.

This in combination with spoof filtering should make all our work a little
easier, right? Any takers?

Before I proposed that terminal servers could intercept the standard 113
identd requests sent to a certain IP and answer them itself (since the
device presumably has login information about users on its ports) but I
got no response to that either, a couple of years back.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]