Re: aol rejects mailing lists?

  • From: J.F. Noonan
  • Date: Thu Jun 21 00:15:01 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Andy Bradford wrote:

> Hmm, that shouldn't come as a surprise since it isn't even
> listed as an MX:
>
> [[email protected]:mail andy]$ dnsmx aol.com
> 15 mailin-01.mx.aol.com
> 15 mailin-02.mx.aol.com
> 15 mailin-03.mx.aol.com
> 15 mailin-04.mx.aol.com
>
> In addition, unless you have some special routes, I'm not even sure how
> you are getting anywhere with that name:
>
> [[email protected]:mail andy]$ dnsip air-yh04.mail.aol.com
> 172.18.147.41
>
> Which is clearly a private class address as defined by RFC
> 1918.  Probably a big no-no publishing private addresses in
> your public DNS, but this is AOL we're talking about, right?
> :-)

Arrgh! <self-lart>

<sheepish>
I grabbed the address out of the transaction log and tried it
without really thinking about it.  No, it's not really a surprise
as I filter 1918 addresses at my border.
</sheepish>

Anyway, someone else posted to that list containing the two AOL
addresses three hours ago, and I just sent one myself, and I've
had no bounces from either post yet.  Maybe it was just passing
brain damage, now healed.

--

Joseph F. Noonan
Systems Manager