Re: aol rejects mailing lists?

  • From: Andy Bradford
  • Date: Wed Jun 20 20:44:15 2001

Thus said "J.F. Noonan" on Wed, 20 Jun 2001 17:00:41 CDT:

> When I first read it, I laughed out loud because I *do* tend to
> think of AOL as an incorrect domain.  But this, coupled with
> Christian's report, looks more like they've broken something than
> done something deliberate.  Telneting to port 25 of
> air-yh04.mail.aol.com times out at the moment...

Hmm, that shouldn't come as a surprise since it isn't even listed as an
MX:

[[email protected]:mail andy]$ dnsmx aol.com
15 mailin-01.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-02.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-03.mx.aol.com
15 mailin-04.mx.aol.com

In addition, unless you have some special routes, I'm not even sure how
you are getting anywhere with that name:

[[email protected]:mail andy]$ dnsip air-yh04.mail.aol.com
172.18.147.41

Which is clearly a private class address as defined by RFC 1918.
Probably a big no-no publishing private addresses in your public DNS,
but this is AOL we're talking about, right? :-)

Andy
  6:40pm  up 42 days, 21:18,  4 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.29, 1.20