Re: standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

  • From: David R Huberman
  • Date: Sat Jun 16 19:25:52 2001

Since this is NANOG, I'll restrict my comments to ARIN policy:

> Unfortunately RFC2050 doesn't address at what point additional address
> space should be assigned to an end user, however, it never uses the
> 80% figure in that respect.

Interestingly, ARIN doesn't publish any policy on additional address
space assignments to end-users.

However, I can tell you that in practice (and it's common sense, too) ARIN
does not issue additional assignments to end-users until they demonstrate
that they have used their previous assignment efficiently (80%). Why?

Because:

> This means that if they are already at 50%, you assign them another
> block equial in size to what they have, and they reasonably expect to
> double their utilization in the next year, that everyone should be
> happy.

You can't use 25% of the additional block immediately if you still have
50% of the initial block available*.

Again, though it's not written down (Richard Jimmerson?? Comments?), ARIN
does not issue end-users additional blocks until their existing blocks are
efficiently utilized.

/david

[*] if you can, you're a special case that's not material to this
discussion.