Re: standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

  • From: Charles Scott
  • Date: Sat Jun 16 14:07:10 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> It's not really a question of what makes sense, it's what you need to do
> to keep ARIN happy.  As an ISP, if you only apply the 25% / 50% rule to
> your customers, how are you supposed to demonstrate 80% utilization to
> ARIN when requesting any kind of allocation?
>
> If you've handed out a whole bunch of /24 - /29 subnets to your
> customers and they are compliant with RFC2050, this could well result
> in a situation where you've depleted nearly all of your address space,
> yet are nowhere near 80% utilization or your, say, /21 from your
> upstream.  Is ARIN going to allocate you a /20?

David:
  Sorry, but nope, I don't understand it that way. Perhaps we need to
properly define utilization. To an ISP, this means assignment of address
space via SWIP to customers. ARIN wants you to have "assigned" 80% of your
address space before asking for another allocation. To an end user, it
means active hosts. ARIN suggests following RFC2050 and the 25%/50%
standard prior to receiving an additional address assignment from their
ISP. You, the ISP, are obligated to have justification using RFC2050 as
the standard for assignements to your customers. ARIN requires you to have
assigned 80% of your allocation to those customers prior to receiving
additional allocations and may want to review the justification you've
received from your customers. So, yes, it's very likely that when you have
assigned 80% of your allocation, the sum of all your customer's
utilization may be something like 50%.
  Judging from the confusion on this issue, I'm not surprised that some
customers have a hard time getting assignments from their ISP's. This is
even more confusing when the customer is both an end user and a downstream
ISP themselves. In that case, it may make sence to consider the address
space they use themselves as a separate assignment from them to
themselves. That way you can properly determine when they have reached 80%
assgnment of their space. If they aren't in turn assigning address space,
then they are simply an end user and should be following RFC2050.
  Does this all make sence?

Chuck