Frame-Relay vs. ATM?

  • From: Los, Ralph
  • Date: Fri Jun 15 13:06:23 2001

Hello everyone,

	I apologize for putting this out to everyone, but I don't know the
answer to this question and I feel it's best to go to the source.

	My company is forcing me to do a Frame vs. ATM cost-benefit
comparison.  The Frame-Relay connection would be PVC's connecting 3 sites,
Chicago, West-Coast, East-cost (offices).  I am attempting to do
video-on-demand, voice-over-IP, and data over these pipes, and would like to
ability to do Internet+private LAN connecting all 3 sites for file-sharing,
email sharing, etc without having to do VPN over the Internet.

	My question?  What is the benefit of Frame-Relay from say, Sprint or
AT&T versus an ATM connection for all 3 sites from Savvis or Broadwing?  I'm
trying to find the technical details and merits behind both these
methods/technologies.  Any replies would be appreciated off-list, and I will
send a aggregate report to anyone interested.

	Thank you much everyone for answers in advance,

Ralph M. Los
Asst. Vice-President, Internet Systems and Security
EnvestNet Advisory Corp.
[email protected]
(312) 827-3945 (direct)
(312) 296-9003 (wireless w/voicemail)