RE: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

  • From: Thomas R. Charron
  • Date: Fri Jun 15 01:13:29 2001

Title: RE: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

"Thomas R. Charron" <[email protected]> writes:

> A South Korean company has developed an app that sets up multicast on a
> network automatically.  No router config required.  It does it with a small
> active-x that installs on a user's machine and gives a server on the ntwk
> all the info it needs to route the multicast stream.  Pretty cool stuff.
> I'd call it a killer-ap for multicasting.

It sounds as if I'd probably call it "unicast".

                                        ---Rob

No, it's multicasting.  The active-x interacts with the server to determine which clients are viable for grouping into a virtual multicasting ntwk (independently of routers).  These little active-x's interact with the server to register themselves in a multicast group, and they can repeat the signal for others in their group or even to other groups.  It's P2P and IP Multicasting put together.

Tom