Re: Opinions about InterNAP

  • From: Jonathan Disher
  • Date: Wed Jun 13 15:09:17 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Seth M. Kusiak wrote:

> I've been told by many that most national providers filter any prefix
> greater then a /20 such as sprint and verio.
>
>  -Seth
>
> David McGaugh writes:
>
> > /24's are sufficient to multihome with most if not all providers out
> > there. Why not conventionally multi-home to 2 large well established
> > providers?
> >
> > -Dave

Filters depend on where you get your allocation.  We got 216.249.16.0/20
from arin.  Since we're above the swamp, we have a greater chance of
having any given /24 not be filtered.  Shortly after we got the
allocation, I announced a single /24, and could cleanly traceroute to
machines on that subnet from points behind sprint, verio, C&W, worldcom,
etc.  Had we been given an allocation from 65/8 or another block in
former-class-A space, we probably would've had problems.

FWIW, what I've heard is that most people like Verio who used to have
painfully strict filtering policies have reverted to something a little
better.  Personally I've seen no impact on filtering, we renumbered our
production networks out of the GBLX/GBLC/Exodus-owned and aggregated space
(64.209.175.0/24 and 64.210.164.0/23) into our own /22 in 216.249.16.0,
and usage is still increasing.  We've also heard no complaints of
unreachability.

-j

--
-Jonathan Disher
-Sr. Systems and Network Engineer, Web Operations