Re: Intellectual Property Claim Service for .BIZ

  • From: Charles Scott
  • Date: Wed Jun 13 11:35:19 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:

> The IP Claim service we deployed is for exact match, strcmp() returning 0.

Eric:

  Where is my factual error? Since strcmp() only returs 0 if the whole
strings match exactly, it supports my contention that one needs to divine
EXACTLY what every possible variation would be and would have to file each
separately at a cost of $90 each. If, however, it were a substring match,
that would be (somewhat) more reasonable.

> Your conclusion (based upon one factual error and two speculative claims)
> is contradicted by the experience with the URDP, and as the study was done
> by academics (and fairly interesting, covering the major modes of DRP and
> the outcome distributions) you may want to fix their methodology, data and
> conclusions [1].

  To invoke UDRP, one must begin by filing a "complaint in a court of
proper jurisdiction against the domain-name holder" and then UDRP only
deals with the dispensation of the domain once a legal resolution to the
claim of infringement is achieved. I gather that all registrars will
handle domains in such resolved cases with the .biz TLD as they have other
active TLD's--there doesn't seem to be any need for an additional step. I
don't see how this does anything but support my concerns.

> Neat. I'd have gone for gravity myself, it is such a bother.

  I have also been focused on the "gravity" of this situation.

> Feel free to have the last word, its your scam. Follow-ups to the NANFG list.

  Thanks, for the last word.

Chuck