Re: standards for giving out blocks of IP addresses

  • From: Christopher A. Woodfield
  • Date: Wed Jun 13 09:18:35 2001

...and then the install engineer finds out that the customer only has ~50
or so hosts, and tells the customer that all they qualify for is one /25.
Hijinks ensue.

I would personally tar and feather any sales rep who promises a certain
amount of IP space to a customer without knowledgee of the customer's
actual IP needs and current utilization. PSI was famous for handing out
/24s from their 38.0.0.0/8 space willy-nilly, and I've had more than one
conversation with a "refugee" customer who says "but...but...PSI gave me a

in short, my view is that IP allocations to customers should NEVER be a
marketing/sales decision.

-C

--
Christopher A. Woodfield		[email protected]

PGP Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB887618B