Re: non-op (Re: Definition of Tier-1)

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Mon Jun 11 23:27:54 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, J.D. Falk wrote:

> 	Well, for one thing, "transit-free" doesn't mean that you
> 	can route to all the other "transit-free" providers....

Unless you do what BBN/GTE/Genuity did during the period where they phased
in (or was it out?) the ex-Genuity datacenters.  We found lots of traffic
heading out Sprint.  I recall someone else mentioning that Exodus and
Above used Sprint as their "backup transit" even though all the above
networks are "Tier 1".  We never got a clear answer from the noc on why
the then BBN would not purchase transit for itself from itself.

Out of curiousity, why is Sprint the common thread in these three
datacenter network cases?

Charles