Re: Multicast Traffic on Backbones

  • From: Tim Winders
  • Date: Sun Jun 10 10:38:27 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Joshua Goodall wrote:

> > UUnet's arguement for charging to sendis that you can potentially chew up
> > large portions of their network bandwith with only a small connection
> > yourself.
>
> what else is multicast for? hopefully it works out cheaper than your
> expected outbound unicast streams would have cost (including the clue
> overhead for supporting mcast)

That is my argument.  I am working on them now.  However, what they hit me
back with, is if you are multicasting, you can have a 10MB connection to
UUnet, send a 1MB multicast stream which could be multiplied 100 times
over their backbone.  Thus, you can use much more than their backbone than
you are paying for.

However, with unicast, if you have a 10MB connection, you can't send more
than 10MB with unicast.  If you need more bandwidth, you buy more.

My argument back, was that it is highly unlikely that I will have 100
different receivers which will have 100 different paths across their
network.  If their network is designed properly, there should be less
impact on their network with multicast than with unicast.  I hope they buy
that.  :-)

> > Very true.  I am having a hard time grasping the technical specifics.  It
> > has taken quite a bit of study and discussion to figure out what I have so
> > far, and I am sure I have misunderstood many things.  Unfortunately, what
> > I am finding out, is that multicast is a subject that rarely comes up as
> > an option with customers.  There isn't a demand, so the providers don't
> > put the resources into it...
>
> things don't gain momentum if they keep changing direction.
>
> <sotto-voce>the same might be said to the v6 folks</sotto-voce>

Changing direction or improving?  Many of the original problems with
multicast are being addressed and improved upon with newer RFC's and
protocols.  At least, that is my understanding...  I am new to multicast,
so that may just be the marketing drivel that I have stumbled onto.  :-)

=== Tim

        Tim Winders, MCSE, CNE, CCNA
        Associate Dean of Information Technology
        South Plains College
        Levelland, TX  79336

        Phone:	806-894-9611 x 2369
        FAX:	806-894-1549