RE: /24s run amuck again

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Sun Jun 10 00:08:11 2001

>> but if you are not paying me, what reasons are there for me to spend my
>> resources (route bloat) so you can engineer your traffic?
> none.

well, we agree so far :-)

> Now tell me how to promulgate my TE-triggering routing advertisements
> precisely to the edge of my payment boundary (i.e. my upstreams, and
> their upstreams, and so on recursively along the upstream relationships)
> and no further, using today's BGP?

but why should i pay the costs because the tool was not designed to do what
you want done?

i will happily work on tool design with you [0].  but, in the meantime, why
should i have to pay a penalty for your odd business choices?

( casual readers should note that 'you' and 'i' are abstract terms, and
that geoff usually claims to be more of a capitalist than i :-)

randy

---

[0] - community-minded folk might suggest that a universally agreed
      DO-NOT-EXPORT-TO-PEERS community would get you a good way there.
      at least it would approximately follow the money.

      also note that filtering peers' announcements on rir allocation
      boundaries would seem to go a way toward meeting both your needs
      and mine.  and it is what smb's nanog presentation alludes to.