RE: /24s run amuck again

  • From: Philip Smith
  • Date: Sat Jun 09 08:19:14 2001

Hi Richard,

I was working on almost the same thing... :-) As from next Friday, my routing report will include the top 20 ASes which are announcing prefixes more specific than the registry minimum allocation (/20), more specific than a /24 from 192/8 space, more specific than a /16 from former B space, more specific than a /8 from former A space...

A taster follows:

Advertised prefixes smaller than registry allocations

ASN No of nets Description
701 1584 UUNET Technologies, Inc.
1221 1580 Telstra
705 1490 UUNET Technologies, Inc.
2764 866 connect.com.au pty ltd
3491 651 CAIS Internet
7046 623 UUNET Technologies, Inc.
690 502 Merit Network
4293 481 Cable & Wireless USA
18994 468 Global Crossing
7018 437 AT&T
15870 436 Global Center Frankfurt
1 429 BBN Planet
702 423 UUNET Technologies, Inc.
1239 364 Sprint ICM-Inria
209 350 Qwest
5106 343 Ameritech Advanced Data Servi
3561 332 Cable & Wireless USA
18993 325 Global Crossing
11371 307 Rhythms NetConnections
4323 303 Time Warner Communications, I

There is no attempt to measure aggregation - that's the job of the CIDR Report. This simply looks at the prefix announced and if it is outside the above limits, it is counted. Makes very interesting reading...

philip
--

At 13:53 08/06/2001 -0400, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:31:03AM -0700, Karyn Ulriksen wrote:

> I had a full /19 sliced and diced up into /24 until yesterday when I
> officially completed my data center migration.  None appear in the list
> below.  How recent is this information?

Woops, I was running this against an old routing table. My appologies.

I've updated the list to reflect a routing table taken this morning from
1720 (CERF) and 3967 (Exodus) transit. I'm still debugging the parser, so
it may not be 100% perfect, but the point remains the same.

The url is the same:
http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/projects/ipaddr/24amuck.txt