Re: Why so little traffic from C&W

  • From: George William Herbert
  • Date: Fri Jun 08 02:36:01 2001

JD wrote:
>Mikael Abrahamsson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I believe the whole structure of tier1, tier2 etc is breaking down and
>> everybody is going after all customers, and that this will have
>> interesting implications in the future.
>
>	Breaking down?  It used to be that anyone connected directly
>	to an exchange point was tier one, and the tiers are pretty
>	obvious beyond that.  Now that everyone's at the exchanges,
>	"tier one" is simply a marketing term.

To "an" exchange point?

It certainly didn't start out that way; in the 93-94 timeframe it
was pretty clear tier 1's brought their bandwidth around the country
and connected wherever possible, not just at one point.

I have to agree that the "structure" is breaking down, if nothing
else because people don't agree with what the definitions are
(though, a coherent case can be made that we never did...
like peering policies spinning in the wind, definitions have
changed a lot over the years).

-george william herbert
[email protected]