Re: top/bottom posting [Re: HTML-format postings]

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Jun 07 20:57:04 2001

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:37:25 PDT, John Payne said:
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:03:12PM -0700, Todd Suiter wrote:
> > I really have to wonder how many of you are/have been postmasters for fortune
> > 500 companies. t
> I fail to see the point.

Point? Probably that if you're a postmaster for a large site, you see all SORTS
of stupidity that makes the top/bottom quoting seem trivial in comparison.

My favorite roadkill on the Infobahn:

User complains he can't post to a Listserv,  because his postings are rejected
as "too long", even though he was only posting short messages.  Oddly enough,
his mail was about 6,000 lines long - 20 lines of complaint, followed by a
signature block that started with 'begin 644 big-n-deep.gif' and ended some
6,000 lines of uuencoded data later with an 'end'.  Decorum prevents my saying
what the uuencoded data was, but you can guess from the filename. ;)

So I drop him a note of the form "It's probably the fact that you have a 6K
line .signature".. I get a reply back "I guess this *also* means I should
call my ISP and cancel the tech support call about Eudora taking forever to
send mail?"

Count your blessings, guys and girls.. ;)
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst