Re: Bell Labs' Discovery May Lead to Efficient Networks

  • From: Craig Partridge
  • Date: Thu Jun 07 12:55:01 2001

In message <[email protected]>, Mikael Ab
rahamsson writes:

>I attended a seminar where self-similarty people from Ericsson were
>talking (At IETF INET2001). They had not tested the theory with thousands
>of TCP connections on high capacity links, but one thing that caught my
>eye was that for self similarity to occur, congestion need to exist
>(according to them).

I'd have to see the Ericsson work.  And I'm not an expert in self-similarity
though I try to keep up with the papers.  That said, the work I've seen
to date on self-similarity has nothing to do with congestion.

It often does have to do with traffic interacting with other traffic.
But the queues don't have to be full, or even near full, for interactions
to occur.

Craig