Re: Bell Labs' Discovery May Lead to Efficient Networks

  • From: Craig Partridge
  • Date: Thu Jun 07 12:25:05 2001

There had been reports of this discover about four years ago -- as
I recall, Tony Li reported hearing from customers that traffic levels at
the core were remarkably stable.

I had some talks with various of the self-similarity experts at the time
and they said this was perfectly plausible -- the law of large numbers
eventually says this must happen, the self-similarly results simply implied
that the amount of traffic required to reach stability was *much* larger
than required if traffic was Poisson.  At the core, we've apparently
reached that point.

My recollection of the discussions is that there's a lot of interesting
work to be done on the structure of those stable flows (what's going on
within the aggregate) as well as working out where the traffic gets small
enough to become self-similar.  But these discussions were a few years ago
and my memory may be faulty.

Craig

In message <[email protected]>, Irwin Lazar writ
es: