RE: PSINet and C&W peering

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Tue Jun 05 15:07:31 2001

[deleted]

Personally speaking, I'm a little worred that this isn't the last
C+W peering issue that we will hear about in the near future, unless
of the new flows of customers abandoning them changes a few minds
at corporate HQ, I've certainly heard from a large European C+W customer
who is now seriously thinking about finding alternatives because of
this action.

Also, I couldn't recommend buying connectivity from any organisation who
randomly disconnects people without consultation/communication to their
customer base, and operates draconian and stupid peering policies.

Regards,
Neil.

-----

I think this is a great point. Wouldn't BOTH networks be to blame from a
Customer point of view? I know if I were a customer of either network, I
would move to one not involved in either place. Frankly I don't think
customers care about where the mud is slung. *IF* a site they want is
effected, they will move when it is economically feasible to do so.

I would say that being unable to reach a site you expect to reach is a
significant drop in service, possibly below acceptable contractual levels.
Then I'd leave it in the hands of the attorneys.

There is no way [the company who terminated peering] is going to make money
off of this venture, because invariably whoever the transit is bought from
will be a peer of [the company who terminated peering]. And rather than
encourage transit relationships, it encourages more and more direct
relationships with large customers.

Years ago peering was only between large networks -- the "technical
complexity" was beyond mere "customers". Now large/regional customers try to
design relationships with other large/regional customers. Eventually it may
go to even smaller shops.

Deepak Jain
AiNET