Re: small exchanges (was: Re: PSINet and C&W peering)

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Tue Jun 05 14:39:13 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:14:24AM -0700, Ehud Gavron wrote:
> Similarly in Tucson we founded The Tucson Interconnect.
> It worked for a long while (except for one ISP who still doesn't
> understand what peering is, but they're just a stain on the
> big isp carpet).
>
> Eventually the small ISPs were using DS3 uplinks, and then
> a local interconnect became an expensive proposition...
> T-1s were easy to justify but in town (read LEC) DS3s or
> 100BTx is expensive...

we lucked out, in that 151 Front Street in Toronto is sorta like 60 hudson,
25 broadway, ??? wilshire.

so many ISP's had bandwidth going in that direction anyways.

most of the peers are connected with a simple cat5 running back to their
own closet/room in the building.

there has been some talk about putting sister switches in other buildings,etc
but that starts to get into real money, and then you have to work out how to
split it and maintain it and SLA's, etc, etc, etc.

right now the switch(es) are on loan/donated/sponsored? by cisco.
extreme and other vendors have offered their hardware as well.

the location of the first switch was picked up by one of the founding members.

we have since made an arrangement with RACO in 151 Front whereby RACO will give
the switches a place to live.

works out pretty good.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [email protected]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]