Re: Rooted boxen and the law

  • From: Albert Meyer
  • Date: Tue Jun 05 13:49:41 2001

At 09:54 AM 6/5/01 -0700, Dalvenjah FoxFire wrote:
You may be able to report the case to the police as well, but unless
you're heavily interested in pressing charges, chances are it'll just
be filed and reported up the ladder to the feds anyhow.
Depends on your local police. Here in Austin they are surprisingly interested in prosecuting computer crime. A few months ago I had a client who hacked someone's website and left dirty fingerprints all over the place. In many locales nothing would have ever happened, but the police made an official request for logs, confiscated his computers, collected supporting evidence, and charged him with some sort of crime. I didn't follow up to see what the disposition was, but I suspect that he at least paid a hefty fine. In other areas I've seen the police completely clueless.