RE: C&W Peering

  • From: Vivien M.
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 20:58:55 2001

AboveNet did the same deal with Verio instead of Sprint... and they're still
doing it, too, just like Exodus is still using Sprint to reach PSI.

I don't think the issue here is one of circuits or anything, it's more one
of embarassment. AboveNet, PSI, and probably C&W (I'm not sure about
Exodus... ironically enough, it's the only one of these that I use) all
claim that they're "tier 1" networks. However, AboveNet has been forced to
get Verio to provide transit to PSI because of this. That, technically,
means that AboveNet is not a tier 1 by my definition (according to me, and
probably most people on this list, a tier 1 is someone who has no transit
from anyone). Now, PSI, which used to call itself "the Internet
supercarrier" IIRC (ironically, until a year or two, maybe three, ago, also
claimed their DS3 frame relay network was state of the art), may be forced
to get someone to transit the 2.5 megabits (or is my guess too high?) of
traffic to CW.
It's not likely to be a big technical deal, but the irony I find to be quite
prominent. First PSI forced others to make transit arrangements because of
their greed, and now CW is possibly making PSI do the same, for probably the
same motives.

Vivien
--
Vivien M.