Re: C&W Peering

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 18:28:53 2001

On Mon, 04 June 2001, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> Well, I assumed PSI and/or C&W would have had some backup transit, if they
> were going to play that game, but...

By defintion a "tier 1" provider does not have any transit, backup or
otherwise.  If tier 1 providers terminate peering, there are no alternate
routes between them.  However, customers who are multihomed may be able
to reach both of them.  Likewise customers of other peers can reach both
of them.  But customers exclusively connected to one or the other battling
peer can't reach customers exclusively attached to the other.

Its been a while since we've had a real "tier 1" peering battle.  Last
time ANS lasted a couple of weeks before they caved in and joined the CIX
after the CIX filtered out non-member routes.