Re: 95th Percentile != Lame

  • From: mike harrison
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 08:20:05 2001

> But peak vs non-peak has little to do with 95th percentile. Assuming that
> every day's traffic patterns are the same (which is rarely true, there is

My nybble's worth:

  95th percentile is usually based on a 5 minute average, and when you
have a lot of upstream bandwidth you can move a lot of data quickly and
it barely shows in a graph/monitoring system doing 'mrtg' style 5 minute
samples.

  It's better than nothing, and identifies 'hogs' quickly.

  Because of the large amount of 'business hours' users we have, I've
made some special deals to some 'off-hour' bandwidth hogs because of the
available and unused  bandwidth during those hours. --Mike--