Re: engineering --> ddos and flooding

  • From: Geoff Zinderdine
  • Date: Mon Jun 04 03:37:51 2001

 > Assuming not adding the extra connection, this means that upstream prefix
> filtering, so that one can't mistakenly inject 255 /24s rather than a
> single /16, would go out the window.  Now think about /32s and what the
> routing tables will start to look like.  Now consider that the upstream
> would also want to send to its upstream Tier-1 the NULLROUTE /32 as well
so
> that his bandwidth is not eaten up as well and we have a situation whereby
> routing table size will triple in size every year.

This is a stop gap measure for customer networks.  Those null routed /32s
are not
meant to be permanently advertised, they are meant to free the customer's
pipe from
smurf/fraggle until the SP can do something about it.  What would be the
point of permanently
blackholing a host on your network?

I would imagine that most tier 1's are going to filter anything longer than
a /24 whether
you advertise it or not.  The question isn't about route table size, it is
whether
your SP will go the extra mile to give you a proactive option to deal with
attack and has
someone clueful to implement it that will take responsibility for it (not
that it is hard).

This is a very limited measure that only helps in a very particular
situation for a small subset of
customer networks.  I think it is a very useful tool for that particular
situation... it is not meant as
a principle that SP networks should apply to their upstream as well.

Geoff Zinderdine
CCNP CCA MCP
MTS Communications Inc.

The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.