Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 23:46:09 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> > In case this is unclear, AboveNet was the first to do 95th percentile,
> > and UUNet was the first of those who have since followed in Dave Rand's
> > footsteps.
>
> Huh? My recollection is that UU was doing 95th back in 94 or so.

They definitely were.  At my first ISP job, we had a usage based UUNet T1
that was billed according to 95th percentile traffic...but once you
started using much of a T1, it was cheaper to just switch over to their
flate rate "full T1" pricing.  This was back when you could run a small
ISP and take a full news feed on a single T1 and not fill it.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |