Re: A moment of silence.

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 19:08:20 2001

    > I've received a number of replies, some down, some up.  It does
    > appear that only some connections are down, for yet unknown reasons.

It has always been WorldCom's marketing position that their switches
are at the topological "center" of MAE-East.  However they have never in
fact had a monopoly on switch-ports at MAE-East, and only their
after-the-fact marketing FUD has managed to convince some people that
their switch ports are somehow more legitimate than everyone else's.  A
minority of MAE-East participants' _routers_  were actually connected to
Worldcom switch ports, but we now have the opportunity to find out how
many participants' _switches_ were connected to Worldcom switches.

>From any point of view, those participants who appear down are those who
are on the other side of a (now defunct) Worldcom switch, while those who
appear up are on the same side of a Worldcom switch.

The somewhat harder trick is in mapping which of the switches need to be
interconnected to which of the others to patch around the WorldCom damage
without creating a loop.

                                -Bill