Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 00:45:20 2001

> i gave up on per-customer interface accounting, didn't scale for me.

Thats a very bold statement. A what point (what metric?) did you feel that
this method didn't scale?

NAC is no super-duper tier-1 (I had to throw that in), but we do monitor
>1400 interfaces every 5 minutes, 100 or so at more than 105 mb/s (that
magic number for 32 bit counter rollover in 5 minutes, and yes, we use 64
bit counters), shove them all in a nice SQL table, and we've not seen any
reason for non-scalibilty, at least for a while (at least 5000 more
interfaces before will have to rewrite the collection engine).

> we've since moved to cisco, and, well, now i have cache flow stats which
> are parsed into customer subnets.

Eeek. Relying on flow-stats? Yikes.