Re: engineering --> ddos and flooding

  • From: Mark Mentovai
  • Date: Fri Jun 01 15:15:38 2001

Geoff Zinderdine wrote:
>Why not just advertise the host route with an unreachable next hop from your
>main peering session?

Maybe your upstream sets the NEXT_HOP to your side of the point-to-point for
you, just in case you neglected to do so.

Even if they don't, who's to say what's unreachable?  If the NEXT_HOP is
truly unreachable, in that there is no route to it, the BGP path won't be
marked as valid and won't make it to the IP routing table (Loc-RIB.)

I've long felt that IP should have come with a provision for an address that
is never routed.  It would be great if we could get something like 127.0.0.2
for this very task.

Mark