RE: QOS or more bandwidth

  • From: Kavi, Prabhu
  • Date: Tue May 29 13:42:08 2001

 <snip>

> Voice-over-IP benefits from statistical multiplexing as
> much, if not moreso, than any other application. A
> toll-quality voice call runs at ~5-6kbps (factoring silence
> suppression and RTP header compression) vs. 8kbps across
> compressed TDM.

Do you mean G.723.1? Let's put aside that some people do not
consider G.723.1 to be toll-quality.  Ignoring that, I would
call your 5-6 kbps number to be compression rather than
statistical multiplexing.  The voice packets still come out
periodically every 30ms or so.  The only significant statistical
multiplexing you get with voice is due to silence suppression.

Also, how do you actually achieve 5-6 kbps when you
consider the IP overhead?

Prabhu
Prabhu Kavi                     Phone:  1-978-264-4900 x125
Director, Adv. Prod. Planning   Fax:    1-978-264-0671
Tenor Networks                  Email:  [email protected]
100 Nagog Park                  WWW:    www.tenornetworks.com
Acton, MA 01720