RE: QOS or more bandwidth

  • From: RJ Atkinson
  • Date: Tue May 29 13:31:32 2001

At 10:15 29/05/01, Irwin Lazar wrote:

>FWIW, I recently heard someone ask the question - "how do you go to your
>investors and tell them you need more money for more bandwidth because you
>don't want to efficiently manage your existing capacity?"
>
>This is the business case for QoS, IMHO.

        Whenever I did the cost of deploying and managing fancy QoS
and compared it with the cost of getting and managing more capacity,
it was always MUCH MUCH cheaper to get and manage more capacity
than to mess with more QoS.

        Other folks mileage might vary.  I'd encourage folks in
that situation to fire up a spreadsheet and do the math.  The
critical variable in my cases was accounting properly for the
increased ongoing operational costs of maintaining a QoS-enabled
network.  Those turned out to be quite high.

Ran
[email protected]