Re: last mile capacity [was Re: QOS or more bandwidth]

  • From: Sean M. Doran
  • Date: Tue May 29 12:34:42 2001

someone asked:

| Wouldn't that tend to lead to problems wrt maintenance and capacity
| issues? I mean, we know how well our local governments work. This just
| seems to me that it would tend to have capacity continuously at 95%
| and brokn fibers taking weeks to repair.

Stokab and its kind work about as well as the water and gas utilities.
You can get two diversely routed dark fibre pairs between a pair
of locations in Stockholm for about the same price as a 128kbps
protected leased line.   How would _you_ deal with potentially long
outages?

(See http://www.stokab.se/english/ under "products").

	Sean.

P.S.: Capacity issues?  They sell _dark fibre_.  That's TERAbits per second,
      per pair, if you want...