RE: QOS or more bandwidth

  • From: Ukyo Kuonji
  • Date: Tue May 29 11:04:32 2001

--- Sean Doran Wrote ---

In the absence of such a document, from which anyone can build
an interoperable "true" "end to end" QoS system into his or her
product, I am tempted to believe that such buzzwords are weapons
in a DoS attack by marketroids.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I have long been of the opinion that all these are spouted off by marketing types and ATM biggots. As far as I am concerned, a properly designed and run network makes QoS and MPLS more a hassle than a benefit.

TDM. What flavour would you like? SONET/SDH? PDH? "Virtual >dark fibre"?
ITU-Grid optics?
That works very well for always on type service, but in reality, these type of services are not always on. They are periodic, at best, and the time between the periods can be hours to days. Right now they ARE over TDM, but TDM is expensive to supply (payback time and all). Data services (ATM or IP) has a much better payback time. And if you can get the stat mux gain, all the better.

Of course, the prices to the customer makes TDM more attractive. (Something wrong with this picture?)

If you're not sure that it'll be worth anything on arrival,
you shouldn't send in the first place.
Well, in a voice call, if a packet is out of order, you want to drop it. Same with broadcast video. There is no need to try to pick up that bit. This is real voice and video, not talking about stuff you get with quicktime...

These are all travelling across multiple-provider paths today...
Not IP paths.  At least not that anyone has pointed out to me.

The latter distributes the problem better.  The former requires
well-adapting, well-behaved, Internet-ready apps to subsidize the
migration of apps which are not all of these, and that will not fly.

(Note that even the poor CoS substitute is unnecessary for current
well-adapting, well-behaved, Internet-ready apps... that's one reason
they're so inexpensive.)
Again, I agree totally with you. Get teh apps in shape, and all will be good.

UK

---
Opinions in this email are the personal opinions of the author and are not associated with author's employer. This email account is a not the regular email account of the author and is being used for the protection of the employer.