Re: QOS or more bandwidth

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Tue May 29 09:34:19 2001

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:13:50 +0100 (BST)
> From: Stephen J. Wilcox <[email protected]>
>
> Altho you need to have different policies for your core and for your
> customers.. it may be practical to increase bandwidth on the core and
> avoid QoS (which imho should never be employed on the core).. but its
> not always within a customers budget to upgrade from low speed circuits.

Although I generally agree, how does one keep QoS out of the core for CBR
and jitter-sensitive applications?

> I think as the prices drop, smaller businesses are coming online but
> still trying to use high bandwidth applications. As they are unable to

Many here must continually explain on other lists that speed and volume
are totally different games.  "High-speed" access != "high volume for
below cost".  Ughh.  (If I wire my house with a 400A main, and insist
on running 30kW all the time, I'm going to get a biiig electric bill...)

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922