Re: VPN Solution (WAS: ORBS (Re: Scanning))

  • From: Andy Bradford
  • Date: Mon May 28 17:46:03 2001

Thus said "Patrick W. Gilmore" on Mon, 28 May 2001 01:24:58 EDT:

> The VPN solutions I have used (e.g. Bay Networks, MS PPTP) send *every*
> packet from the end user machine to the VPN end-point, not just selected
> packets (like with SSH tunneling).

This should be configureable, if it isn't then maybe it's time for a
switch in protocols/software. :-)

> So, does anyone know of a VPN that does selective forwarding like SSH
> tunneling?

FreeS/Wan does this by default.  Only traffic defined by the tunnel
security association is encrypted, the rest goes through untouched.
Very optimal. :-)  I don't believe this is specific to FreeS/Wan either,
as most IPSEC implementations I have seen do something similar.
(including hardware solutions).

Andy
  3:43pm  up 19 days, 18:20,  6 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.00