Re: EMAIL != FTP

  • From: Mitch Halmu
  • Date: Sun May 27 19:54:23 2001

On Sat, 26 May 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> OK.. so a hostile site *could* use DNS cache poisoning or hack the
> ORBS DNS servers to screw up your e-mail.

Or ORBS could take sides in an international conflict and do it themselves.
I'm not the only one that said they blackhole for political reasons, or
that they are extremists. No sooner were those words uttered, someone
from Calcutta, India [202.86.168.81 - caltiger.com] decided to remind us
that, besides the atomic bomb, they now have connected computers too.

> For bonus points - if anybody is both paranoid and anal-retentive enough
> to care about this sort of thing, I presume you *HAVE* edited your DNS
> cache hints to only include root name servers that are located on US soil,
> and reachable entirely by communications links that do not take a loop
> through non-US territories.

> THere *will* be hell to pay if foreign terrorists take over a root name
> server that's outside the US, after all....

The named.ca file provides sketchy details about locations. Meknows that
F is in the care of Paul Vixie. M is in a 202 apnic block (Japan). Any
others to worry about? Perhaps we should run traceroutes to all...

--Mitch
NetSide