RE: ORBS (Re: Scanning)

  • From: Derek Balling
  • Date: Sun May 27 14:22:51 2001

At 11:10 AM -0700 5/27/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:
 > I'm not sure I understand this logic:
 1.) They test positive for orbs... so they ARE an open relay
 2.) That system is using MAPS, which means that there is some subset
 of systems the open relay itself rejects mail from
I somehow missed your logic here. A MAPS blocked system is, by definition
NOT an open-relay, since it IS MAPS-blocked. Yet, ORBS will list it as an
open-relay. I agree, there is a disconnect here. Your second premis
invalidates the first. This may be a semantic issue, please examine and
clarify.
I think this is all a phrasology thing.

Assuming "a MAPS-blocked system" means a system that is listed/blocked by MAPS as a spam source.

Then your statement makes no sense because in all likelihood, that host IS an open relay.

Assuming "a MAPS-blocked system" means a system that is partaking of the MAPS lists to block inbound mail to it

Then your statement further makes no sense, because any non-MAPS-listed host could (in theory) send mail to/through that system. If the system using MAPS is an open relay, then non-MAPS-listed hosts could quite happily/easily pump mail through that system regardless of whether or not it is using MAPS.

So in conclusion - unless you're defining a third case, I don't know what you're talking about. :)

I might point out that, since MAPS has been running for a few years, most if
not all, the spammer sources are now listed.
I think my personal evidence (that about 90-95% of my spam that is blocked is NOT from MAPS sources) does not seem to bear that out.

If you really believe your above statement, there's a wonderful slightly used bridge I'd love to sell you.

| [email protected] | "Conan! What is best in life?" |
| Derek J. Balling | "To crush your enemies, see them |
| | driven before you, and to hear the |
| | lamentation of their women!" |