RE: ORBS (Re: Scanning)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sun May 27 13:40:58 2001

> Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:24:57 -0700
> From: Roeland Meyer <[email protected]>
>
> So, you aren't happy when I build a poisoned cake for spammers, you want
> me to use your specific recipe... even if mine works (better?). Tell me

Explain how yours works on the same level or better.

> how a MAPS-blocked system can relay spam.

Nobody claimed that it could.  Tell me what percentage of open relays are
listed in MAPS.

MAPS does not probe like ORBS does.  By its more conservative nature, much
more spam gets by MAPS than ORBS.  Is this good?  Is it bad?  Judgement
call.

> Yes, I'll concede that your approach may work, albeit at higher HW cost
> than my approach.

Let's factor in the cost of wasted bandwidth when one gets hijacked, and
the cost of having an MX handle the extra spam traffic.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: (316) 794-8922