cnn.com name servers all in one AS

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sun May 27 11:33:06 2001

Lookup on cnn.com reveals a response of 4 name servers:

NS-01A.ANS.NET 199.221.47.7
NS-01B.ANS.NET 199.221.47.8
NS-02A.ANS.NET 207.24.245.179
NS-02B.ANS.NET 207.24.245.178

All 4 of these are in AS 1673.

This situation has existed for a long time. CNN has their actual servers multihomed, and (I think) uses Akamai for content delivery. However, the core name servers remain on a single AS, so any routing problem within that AS, or peering issues affecting that AS will result in CNN.COM disappearing.

Microsoft appears to have spread their DNS servers across multiple ASs after their disappearing act a while back. Though I've seen issues with CNN.COM reachability affected by ANS.NET issues as far back as 3 years ago, their DNS strategy remains unchanged.
Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com