RE: EMAIL != FTP

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sat May 26 11:41:29 2001

So, why were they dialing international when ATT WorldNet is closer/cheaper?
Could it be because they'd have had to have opened the server for relaying,
from ATT, in order to do that? The anti-openrelay crowd raised your friend's
cost there by $4.90 per minute +VAT, by FORCING them to use international
dialup instead. They could have also used ATT and punched a tunnel through
to their host (still have to allow ATT dial port access). I was in the same
position (London) last year and had my servers ORBS listed, even though they
were only exposed for two weeks and they never saw spam being relayed. ORBS
listing is cheaper than international phone charges, VAT or no VAT.

Two things I always get before going to EU; a GSM rental cell phone and an
ATT WorldNet account (I bring my own telco-hacker kit). For phone calls
state-side I use Dialpad or Net2Phone. MHSC has been doing some work in NZ
and we regularly connect via NetMeeting. My telco bills are consistently
very low.

> B) I'm intrigued by the proposal for pseudo attachments.
> Hmm, what's really needed?
>
> 	1) User still points & clicks.
> 	2) MUA uploads attachment to its designated server.
> 	3) MUA attaches URL & password to message.
> 	4) Recipient gets mail and grabs attachment.
> 	5) Server knows who has gotten file, keeps track.
> 	6) 24 hours after last recipient has claimed it, or {say}
> 	1 week later, it deletes it. Replaces with "it's expired,
> 	have it resent" for whenever. (Gee, this sounds like news
> 	and history files...)

> All this needs to work is for say Eudora and Mutt to both offer it.
> Once a critical mass of sysadms deploy same, and crank down the
> limit to 100K, more will. (I say Eudora because M$ will resist
> anything that interoperates....)

Key ingredient ... critical mass of sysadms. It will NEVER happen as long as
neither Domino or Exchange are doing it. This list proves that you can't get
any two sysadms to agree on the color of the sky on a sunny day. Further
proof is found on the ICANN lists.

> --
> A host is a host from coast to [email protected]
> & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX
> Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
> is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

I still love this sig-line <g>.